Sr. Operations Engineer
San Francisco • Financial District
If you can calmly ensure our service is rock solid for the tireless production crews making the films and shows your friends will be watching in two years, you’ll be right at home. If you can do that while at the same time designing and deploying the next-gen security, scalability, and reliability our studio clients require to meet their release deadlines, then you’re in line for a leadership position with us.
What will you do?
As a senior member of our Operations team, the heart of PIX rests in your hands. You’re part of the team responsible for the overall PIX production infrastructure, physical data centers and cloud based services. The buck stops with your team for all network and systems issues.
Our backend is Linux with a combination of physical and AWS servers providing web, application, batch, storage, database, and media management services. Storage scaling to petabytes, burstable compute, data capture and analytics, and secure streaming are key attributes of our service. PIX works on highly confidential projects, and so you’ll also be exceptionally trustworthy and discreet.
- You've supported 24/7 highly available services, and maintained a few 9's of service uptime. You're a confident Linux and network administrator. You're open to learning at speed, and share what you've learned with others. You freely ask for help, and freely assist others when you see the need.
- You’ll bring a track record of success building and managing high availability infrastructure services from concept to reality, including technology analysis, vendor selection (with a strong bias for open source), negotiation, design, execution, maintenance, and internal cross-training.
- You’ll help manage our integration with both public and private networks.
- You’ll live for automation, and have a natural passion for extending our monitoring, alerting and deployment facilities.
- You’ll collaborate with our Account Management team supporting clients and our Core Services team building the software, and are happy serving both internal and external clients.
Design, deploy, monitor, maintain, and enhance our infrastructure services as we enhance the PIX Service
Grow and extend our monitoring and alerting systems
Document new processes, and assist in knowledge sharing
Participate in on-call rotation
Assist in corporate IT functions as needed
Help drive improvements
Minimum 8 years operations experience supporting a 24x7 production environment demonstrating increasing responsibilities over time
Strong skills installing, administering and troubleshooting server hardware
Strong skills in Linux system administration and standard services HTTPS, DNS, SMTP, NFS
Deep understanding of networking, routing, and security concepts (ideally: BGP, OSPF, VRF-lite)
Familiarity with configuration management tools (Chef, Puppet)
Dedication to monitoring and alerting systems. We currently use Nagios, OpenNMS, Graphite, StatsD, and collectd
Self-starter with solid communication and documentation skills
Comfortable with a mix of team and individual work
Must be willing to work at the HQ location in San Francisco with occasional travel to remote data centers
Bonus: Experience configuring and managing Amazon Web Service deployments
Competitive salary and bonus program
Exceptional vacation and holiday plan
Very competitive medical benefits
Employee equity and 401(k) plans
Downtown SF - close to BART, Muni, Caltrain
Commuter Benefit Plan
Field trips to productions and private film screenings
Lively small team environment